Alternative medication to steroids

Sunaina
Dear All

This is Sunaina Khanna from India , My Brother Rajesh has been Diagnosed with CLIPPERS last week and he is the 1st case reported in India .. obviously we are in Panic .. his 1st 5 days treatment is going on ... I have been reading this website for the last few days and really want to Thank Bill Crum to put everything together. however i was searching through the web for Alternative medicines to Prednisone and found an interesting link .. they claim that this is natural and doesn't have side effects,

http://biomediclabs.wordpress.com/2011/03/02/is-there-an-alternative-to-prednisone/

has anyone out there tried it ... i hope this is the answer to so many side effects of steroids

Re: Alternative medication to steroids

BillCrum
Administrator
Hi Sunaina,

I know there has been a lot of interest in Turmeric derivatives (i.e. curcumin) for their anti-inflammatory properties and their potential as an alternative to corticosteroids.

However I haven't heard anything reported about this in relation to CLIPPERS. The problem is there is very little known about CLIPPERS and very few cases, but steroids are known to improve symptoms. Without proper treatment though, some patients are left with residual problems.

So, in my opinion (and I am not a doctor, only a patient), I would be wary of trying an experimental treatment if it might mean I was left with worse symptoms.

This is only my opinion though - I am lucky enough (so far) to have been moved off steroids onto Azathioprine which is non-steroidal but in my case at least has kept relapses away for 18 months. So it might be worth asking your doctors about eventually moving from steroids onto such a "steroid-sparing" agent.

Best Wishes

-Bill

Re: Alternative medication to steroids

Sunaina
Thank you Bill for your advise , we are only done with the 1st week of treatment at this stage .. lets hope we get off the steroids soon

Thank you , you have been a great help

I would keep this forum updated if anything further develops

Warm Regards
Sunaina

Re: Alternative medication to steroids

myers
What dose of Imuran are you on?  I'm currently taking 50 mg twice a day.

Re: Alternative medication to steroids

Terry
Hello!

I was diagnosed w/ CLIPPERS last June at the Mayo.

Currently, I do not take Imuran.  I’m on 50mg of prednisone every other day.  I’m thinking that my meds will be changed sometime soon to decrease steroids and add a immuno-suppressant.

On May 14, 2014, at 1:12 PM, myers [via CLIPPERS] <[hidden email]> wrote:

What dose of Imuran are you on?  I'm currently taking 50 mg twice a day.

http://clippers.12400.n7.nabble.com/Alternative-medication-to-steroids-tp56p80.html
To start a new topic under CLIPPERS, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Alternative medication to steroids, click here.
NAML

Re: Alternative medication to steroids

BillCrum
I'm on 100mg Imuran (Azathioprine) twice a day.

I think the dosing is partly calculated based on body weight.
At 80kg that means I'm on 2.5mg/kg/day which is at the high end when compared with dosing advice for things like rheumatoid arthritis.

This was always my target dose, but was ramped up over a few months to make sure I tolerated it. I had a few blips along the way with my blood tests but things settled down eventually.